<!-- google_ad_client = "pub-0314300151385138"; /* 336x280, created 4/29/11 */ google_ad_slot = "2435672011"; google_ad_width = 336; google_ad_height = 280; //--> Epistaxis also known as nosebleed is the common occurrence of hemorrhage from the nose, usually when the blood drains out through the nostrils. There are two types of epistaxis: anterior and posterior.
Symptoms of Epitaxis
Dark or bright red bleeding from one or both nostrils is the most common sign of epistaxis. One may also have trouble breathing, smelling, or talking if blood clots block your nostrils. If you swallow blood, your stool (bowel movements) may look black. Other symptoms include headache, dizziness, and weakness, especially when you lose a lot of blood.
Cause of Epistaxis
• Extreme temperatures: Very cold, dry air during winter or very hot, dry air during summer. This may make the inside of the nose dry, crack, and bleed easily.
• Heavy alcohol drinking: Drinking too much alcohol and too often.
• Inflammation: Inflammation (swelling) of the nose may be due to infections, such as colds or allergies.
• Medicines: Some medicines may make the blood thinner or clot longer. These may include anticoagulants (clot busters), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as aspirin and ibuprofen, or steroids.
• Smoking or illegal drug use: Cigarette smoking or sniffing cocaine may irritate your nose and cause thinning of the lining of the nose.
• Trauma: Nosebleeds may be caused by an injury or direct blow to the nose. This may occur during a fight, physical abuse, car accident, or contact sports.
• Others: High blood pressure, bleeding problems, abnormal blood vessels in the nose, and tumors.
Home Remedies For epistaxis
• Put two drops of lemon juice into the nostrils. It will check bleeding from the nose.
• Grind 50 gms. each of dried white lotus flowers and sugar candy and mix them. Take a tsp. of it with hot milk twice daily in the morning and evening for one week. It will cure epistaxis.
• People suffering from nose bleeding should soak dried amla overnight and wash the head with it in the morning daily.
• Putting a few drops of pomegranate juice in the nostrils also provides relief from epistaxis.
• Put a few drops of onion juice in the nostrils in case of bleeding from the nose. Onion juice cures the infection of the nose and throat. Putting a few drops of onion juice mixed with the juice of mint leaves in the nostrils is also beneficial.
• Putting a few drops of basil juice in the nostrils also stops bleeding from the nose.
• Inhaling the juice of green coriander leaves and applying its paste on the head checks bleeding from the nose because of heat.
• Soak overnight 10 gms of multani mitti in 1/2 litre of water in an earthen pot, drain and drink it the following morning. It cures even chronic epistaxis.
• Eating coconut daily in the morning on empty stomach provides get rid from epistaxis.